The Duke and I (Bridgerton #1) by Julia Quinn.

by - mayo 25, 2022


 

Hey there, bookworms!

I've been kind of MIA and I apologize for it, but I'm struggling with uni and with a big ass reading slump.

My story with The Duke and I (and with historical romances in general) is kinda complicated. I've always been intimidated by historical romances because they look heavy and with so much emotions, which is overwhelming for me, haha. Anyways, I decided to give The Duke and I a chance and finally start it. I've seen mixed reviews of this book but decided to give it a try also because the Netflix show looks good.

Mind you, the fact that I'm rating this book so low doesn't mean that I will stop reading HR just because I didn't like this one. No. Actually, I've seen other pretty interesting HR books with high ratings and excellent reviews, so, I'm gonna keep reading them. In fact, I'm adding HR books to my TBR pile like if I'm buying candies.

As this book is pretty famous, I won't make a whole synopsis, just remark some things as: fake date trope, insta love, a dark haired bad boy with bad reputation and daddy issues, a pure, dumb and annoying girl who thinks she's better than anyone else, tons of gossip, and more things that I'm already forgetting, so, let's move on.

I personally didn't like Daphne. At all. Her only personal trait was to say "I've grown up with four brothers. I know how men think". She was annoying from the beginning to the end. Not even one functional braincell in her big ass head.

I also hated Hastings. Dude, shut up.

I don't regret starting this series, a friend told me that book two is actually pretty good and I'm excited for the other books. I just wish I hadn't read THAT scene. I wish I could unread a scene from my brain, block it out and never remember it again, but we can't have it all, right?

The Duke and I was cliche, kind of good at some scenes. I liked the side characters rather than Daphne and Simon, they're forgettable.

Overall, everything was going pretty fine until that awful scene. I would've enjoyed more if Daphne wouldn't have been the MC. But oh well, I'm not gonna deny that some things were good and that almost made me feel something.

Am I gonna continue the series just because I want to watch the Netflix show? Hell yeah. Am I gonna remember Daphne and Simon and their insta-love and cringey sex life? No, thank you. I'm gonna save myself that.

You May Also Like

0 comments