The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

by - junio 12, 2022


My Spotify playlist. My pinterest board.

I'm editing just to add that I really enjoyed Evelyn Hugo, however, I hated the way latino characters are portrayed in here. I'm not talking about Evelyn, but of Luisa. She's from my country, El Salvador, and is so stereotyped as the typical character who's spending her time gossiping about the person who's hiring them, and making look like latinos only serve to work for the main character. Specially immigrants. Please, stop writing latino, and/or poc, characters like this. It's offensive. 

I can't quite understand how Evelyn Hugo, Celia St. James and Harry Cameron aren't real. Like, are you telling me that I'm delusional? That All of Us readers are delusional? Well, yes, we are. But my brain is malfunctioning trying to comprehend this.

Please, understand me, I've just finished this book, again, and I can't gather my shit or feelings and be a functional human being. I'm a heartbroken mess, once again, and let that doesn't surprise you. I love this kind of pain.

My review is also down there on Goodreads, so, I'm not gonna repeat some things I already said, just the fact that I'm obsessed with this book and with Evelyn Hugo.

I love how re reading I noticed many things that I didn't the first time, and it's amazing. I mean, I cried over and over because I'm a cry baby, but also because I really love this book.

Once I read a review of someone saying that Evelyn Hugo was actually the villain of her own story. I can't stop thinking about it. It might be true. Or it might be a lie. She wasn't a good person in her entirety, and she did some questionable things, some for the sake of her family and the ones she loved.

Kind of spoiler if you haven't read Malibu Rising. I'm warning you.

Also, now that I read Mick's part, I still hate that mf, but I also understand what Nina must have felt when she saw that magazine in that store with June, even if Evelyn didn't know about his family or was marrying Mick just to attract the attention to her and not Celia. I really liked June and hated Mick for what he did to them.

Ugh, men.

Anyways, this book was a rollercoaster ride. I laughed, I cried, I got pissed, I fell in love, I enjoyed it, I hated it and most important: I got my heart broken into a million little pieces. Since Harry's part, everything went downhill, and my heart was shattered until there was nothing left but tears and pain.

There's a lyric of 1 step forward and 3 steps back, by Olivia Rodrigo that says:

"I'm the love of your life until I make you mad".

And Evelyn described some things in her relationship with Celia that felt like that line. And many more of Taylor songs, of course.

But, anyways, I'm going to cry in my room because my heart is broken and I love it. TJR, my therapist will hear of you.

You May Also Like

0 comments