ARC: The Girl Before Me by Laura Wolfe.

by - abril 17, 2022


 

3 stars.

Hey, bookworms! Today I come with an arc provided by Netgalley, Bookouture and the author, in exchange of an honest review.

Rachel moves in to a new apartment with her six-year-old daughter, Lily. Rachel is excited to have a brand new beginning since her marriage ended up badly. Rachel's excitement doesn't last so much because soon she's receiving handwritten letters, which are adressed to someone named Annie, and according to Alex, the guy downhall for whom Rachel is feeling something, Annie used to be the former owner of the apartment. She soon finds herself intrigued by Annie, and the first letter is really frightening and terrifying, it says:

"Annie, I'm so worried. You are not safe in that apartment. You have to get out. Before it's too late."

Who wouldn't feel scared and like something bad is happening with that kind of letters? I honestly would be crying, haha.

Let's go to the things I liked.

The pacing was good. Especially the second part of the book, that is where things are getting better and better! The first part was kind of slow and the writing saved it for me.

The writing was good, it wasn't perfect or great, but I liked it and made me almost binge this book (If I weren't procrastinating the entire time, I would have devoured in one sitting, lmao).

And now, the things I didn't like.

However, I'm gonna contradict myself with something. I said that the second part was better, right? But at the end, it was flat. I was more or less disappointed because all I got (I felt it this way) it was a bunch of info dump: dumb explanations that left me with a big '?' on my face. I swear I was about to throw my phone away, ha.

I mean, I was enjoying this book this far, but the end was abrupt, it happened suddenly and it felt rushed. I don't know if I'm the only one who felt this way, but it was frustrating because I had my theories and my list of suspects.

Also, uhm, I'm not a single mom or something, but, it's okay to introduce your new crush to your six-year-old daughter after a week of knowing him? Look, I'm not judging, but, it's normal? I don't know how it works in some places, but if I had a daughter and a new crush, I wouldn't be introducing them after a week or something.

Speaking of crushes, I didn't like Alex. He felt two dimensional and flat for me. Is he that perfect? What is he, McDreamy? I didn't like him because he didn't feel real at all, and I think he's creepy, sorry not sorry.

There were many plotholes and some things were predictable.

In overall, it was an interesting story and I was devouring it, but then it went downhill for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some parts, but some others felt really off.

Once more, thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the arc!

You May Also Like

0 comments