Vicious by V.E. Schwab.

by - abril 21, 2022

 


5 stars.

Gay.

This is a free-spoiler review, folks. You're safe. If I spill some spoilers, I'll warn you before we get there, don't worry. I'm not a complete bitch, haha.

That's how I'd describe this book. Vicious screams "gay" in every page.

There's no way in heaven, earth or hell that this book is straight. At all. Not even a bit. On the other hand, this is science fiction and it's about superheroes/villains... How can I not be devouring this book as it was my last meal?

Many of my favorite things/tropes are mixed in this book and... Holy fuck, I can't find the words to describe how I'm feeling right now.

Victor Vale and Eli Cardale start college as roomates. In their senior year, they make a shared research about adrenaline and how some situations lead to develop abilities. Then, things go wrong, they literally go to shit and Victor ends up spending 10 years of his life in jail. Sucks, huh? Victor is determined to make suffer his old friend, while Eli is trying to erradicate every single EO that exists.

The premise is attractive. The book is addictive since page 1. Victoria's writing is beautiful, dark and extraordinary. It keeps you glued to the seat, not being able to stop reading.

This is my second book by Schwab (ADSOM is on hold bc I was reading so much books at the moment, but don't worry, I'm planning in to get back at it) and I must admit that it's even with The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue in becoming my favorites.

I'm gonna list why, even if no one cares, lol:

1. It's about superheroes. Y'all maybe don't know it, but I love the superheroes trope with my entire life (of course, if it's well developed) because there has to be a villain, and it's interesting read the villain's background. Also, I write about superheroes and villains... Anti-heroes if you will and how I'd describe my work, lol. So, one of my favorite authors writing a book about superheroes and villain? Sign me in.

2. Morally grey characters. Victor Vale. Oh my gods. The way I love this man? Indescriptible. Victor is one of the best characters I've read in a while. He's definitely one of my favorite characters now and it's for sure that I'm gonna reread this book soon, haha. Morally grey characters are the best and the most interesting! I love them so much, they give the story a different and really good perspective. (I write about them too, so, lol)

3. Science fiction. My favorite genre in the world. Sci-fi is a superior genre and definitely my comfort one. This book is refreshing in this genre, complex but easy to understand and oh gods, Schwab, this is amazing.

I loved the writing. Somehow, miss Schwab is making me devour her books and not feeling time pass by. She has this amazing superpower to create fast paced books with beautiful writing. This is how you write a book. I'll never get tired of saying this, but V.E. Schwab could write her grocery list and I'd gladly read it.

The characters were well developed, interesting, intriguing and amazing. I loved them. I need more of them. All of them. The end left me screaming, crying and throwing up. For a moment, I assumed the worst until I read the last sentence of the book and my soul returned to my body. I even cried.

This book is perfection. I'm really impressed of how Schwab managed to pull everything in a perfect and smooth way, a truly masterpiece and I don't know why I didn't read it before!

Overall, Vicious is a story about power, beliefs, superpowers, complex characters, morally grey characters and ulterior motifs.

Someday, I want to write a book like that without boring people and to show my psycopath killer kids with superpowers, lmao.

5 fucking stars!

You May Also Like

0 comments